Saturday, April 09, 2005

Odd Obsession: Go There Now!

I also want to highlight great film enthusiasts of my current residence, Chicago. A great video store in Chicago is Odd Obsession, which I've heard other people praising for a long, long time but which I never have visited - until yesterday night, that is (a bus I was riding just happened to go by the store).

Odd Obsession turned out to be a really fabulous store. The fact is, most video stores suck because they have the same exact merchandise as everyone else, whereas nobody has the stuff you can't get (so, what's the point? just order all your stuff from Netflix). Brian Chankin, the owner, is a real obsessive nutcase - so he goes out and finds the really good stuff. Why am I talking like Chankin is dealing drugs? (psst.....film is a drug, don't get addicted, keep your kids off film). I walked in and found, within a minute, a bunch of movies that I'd literally been dying to see.

There are TWO store cats (both relatively friendly), as well as store birds and reptiles (there may be some other store animals as well, but I was too busy drooling over the selection). On a huge TV set, Chankin was playing Valerie and Her Week of Wonders and later on, an episode of "Get a Life" - the "Handsome Boy Modeling School" episode that was the foundation for the brilliant 2 CDs produced by the DJ group Handsome Boy Modeling School (i.e. Dan "the Automator" Nakamura and DJ Prince Paul). Chankin is clearly a man of (twisted) tastes.

Anyway, I suggest you run, not walk, over to Odd Obsession at 1659 Halstead. www.oddobsession.com They've got more Godard than you thought possible (no, really, it's true).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home